Thursday 25 July 2013

Our Mama's secret trick for those nasty...

SUNBURNS!

We wore hats all week, lathered on sunscreen and some of us still managed to slightly burn our skin. Do you have a remedy for brutal sunburns that hurt, itch, peel and burn like crazy hot ants up your pants??
Well if you do please share with us in the comments below! We would love to hear from you.




























In the mean time here is our Mama's trick for getting rid of that red painful burn:

Noxema!!





























Her mother used to use it on her and it worked so well she has used it on all of us. Noxema is not just a face wash, but a perfect soothing balm for sunburns.

The Secret Trick:
Apply lots of Noxema so thick that it takes awhile to absorb. You want a nice white creamy layer of Noxema on your skin. Wait a couple of hours until your skin is no longer white and then re apply another layer if your burn still hurts.

The Noxema might have a bit of a stinky smell, but it really truly works! The redness and uncomfortable pain will be gone before you know it. : )





























Do you have an opinion on sunscreen? Wear it? Yes? No? Go Organic? Let us know : )

7 comments:

  1. Noxema, the smell brings back so many summer memories (of so many summer burns as a kid!) We used to also use fresh aloe on our burns too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yes good old Noxema : ) I will always always think of my Mom whenever I smell it! Aloe Vera is handy too! Thanks for sharing : )

      Delete
  2. Try this tried and true Caribbean tip: place natural yoghurt (no sugar/flavor) on the burn and wait 10 minutes. Then rinse and apply aloe vera. While this is a messy process, it really works as the lactic acid counteracts the burn. On another note, please give Elese congratulations on her marriage from her “old” teacher, Ms. Chaudhary and greetings to you too, Renee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ms. Chaudhary!! So nice to hear from you. : ) Thanks for the tip, will try it! Hope all is well and that you are enjoying this beautiful sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Renee! I am so glad to have found your blog. I am thoroughly enjoying my summer holiday and am back to school as of August 26 (I'll be in a few days earlier to set up). I hope that you and your parents are well and that everyone has been able to relax now that Elese's wedding is over. I would love to see you and Elese sometime if you wish. Oh, and tell your mother I still have a stuffed doll she made for me years ago. I think of you all fondly when I look at it.

      Delete
  4. My mom, Elese and I would love to visit with you before you go back to work! I think I might still have your email..perhaps coffee somewhere?
    We would all love to catch up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent idea! If you cannot find my email address you can get me through my school email (initial and surname together, @wqsb.qc.ca). I can meet you all in Aylmer or Ottawa. I look forward to seeing you all soon.

    ReplyDelete