Thursday 11 April 2013

Books we are reading..

“Books are written by authors to be read, even if large ones are used as doorstops or discarded ones help ignite campfires. The fact that many lie unread and covered with dust, or piled atop coffee tables for decorative effect doesn’t mean they were not destined for higher purpose.” Gregory Koukl























I read this quote on my friend Mary's blog H.A.N.L the other day and loved it. Books are special in our home, they are well loved, revered and found in plenty. From homeschooling novels, to fiction, to spirtitual, to how to's, our Bibles,  etc. they all inspire us to know, to be, to act and to love. 

"A truly good book teaches me better than to read it. I must soon lay it down, and commence living on its own hint. What I began by reading, I must finish by acting." Henry David Thoreau 

"If one cannot enjoy reading a book over and over again, there is no use in reading it all." Oscar Wilde

Books we are loving right now: 

Leah: The Story of Beautiful Girl by Rachel Simon. It is an engaging story that takes you right into the minds of it's main characters: Lynnie, Homan and Martha. One evening changes the outcome of all their lives, yet one newborn holds them altogether. It is a must read, about adults with develompent delays in the 60's, institutions, art and of course love. 

Renee: The House Girl by Tara Conklin. This was an Easter present and worth the wait. A historical story of art, slavery, freedom and relationships. It flips back and forth from present day Lina, a lawyer working on a tough case, and past story of Josephine, a house slave gifted in painting. 

Charlotte: Miracle for Jen: A Tragic Accident, a Mother's Deperate Prayer, and Heaven's Extraordinary Answer by Linda Barrick. A true story of a horrible accident that happened to an American family, and the miracle of their eldest daughter Jen. This book is heart wrenching, educating, and will change you. A few of us have read it and have been blown away by the outpouring of faith this family has, and their  deep love for the Lord, even in times of horrific trials. 

Other books you can find propped open, read aloud, left by our beds:

Tuck Everlasting  by Natalie Babbit
Eco Colour by India Flint 
The Painted Girls by Cathy Marie Buchanan

What are you reading these days? Please share!

6 comments:

  1. Well, off I went to the library with my Crazy Daisy list! Not one book was there! But I put in some Interlibrary loan requests. Thanks for the ideas. It's so hard to find an interesting, engaging, non-offensive, WELL-WRITTEN novel. I end up reading the same ones over and over :)
    Happy Weekend, Daisies!
    XO The Duchess

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Weekend Duchess! We agree and that's why we post the novels we love, as it is hard to find one that isn't trashy. Happy reading xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Daisies! I have almost finished Call the Midwife--sometimes a bit of a tough read, but also joyfilled--I can't put it down! The Story of Beautiful Girl has arrived on interlibrary loan, so it is next.
    You will think I am a woman of leisure, one of those "ladies who lunch"--I am not. I just stay up too late!!!!

    XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The end of Call the Midwife is beautiful : ) I loved it and am hoping to get the second one. The tv series is amazing too. The Story of Beautiful made me cry : ) I stay up too late too..haha happy reading!

      Delete
  4. I was reading online last night about Jennifer Worth, and about the last two books in the Midwife series. I'm going to try to borrow them on Interlibrary loan too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes Jennifer Worth led a very interesting life..I found an article online about the show and the Sisters she lived with..interesting!

    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2100169/Were-Call-Midwife-nuns-Real-life-sisters-inspired-popular-BBC-reveal-story.html

    ReplyDelete