Wednesday 6 February 2013

How to make Colourful Cowls *Easy Pattern*


Is your neck feeling a bit chilly these days? Do you look at your odds and ends of yarn and wonder what am I going to do?? Have you been knitting scarves for years thinking that’s all you can do? Well it’s time then to introduce..the Cowl! It’s easy to make, fun to wear and the options are endless.
I love making cowls because they are super simple. A few Christmases ago I made one for each of the ladies in my family. Here is the pattern I made:





























Super Easy Cowl

What you need:
Size 6.5mm (10.5 US) circular needles
200g of yarn of choice:

I used 2 skeins of Berroco Campus for my mom’s cowl and 1 skein of Misti Alpaca, 1 skein of Berroca Campus for Charlotte’s (I stripped it)
 A darning needle to weave in the ends.

Instructions:
Cast on 96 stitches. Join together in the round. Knit stocking stitch until you have 15 inches or so. We like ours big as they wrap nicely and fold well in coats. Cast off! Weave in ends.

























Now be creative! Switch up the stitch and wool if you feel inclined. 
I made another cowl for Charlotte this year but used odds and ends of wool. I made it smaller too, so that it would be a bit different. I also knit with a spool of glitter thread to give it a bit of sparkle.




Leah wanted a huge big chunky cowl, so I used this pattern: Gap-tastic Cowl
I used the Misti again and added a skein of Ozark in the middle.



















































































What are you knitting these days?

2 comments:

  1. I'm making myself some windproof mittens with one strand Patons Classic Wool and two strands Kroy sock yarn, using 5mm needles. They are going to be some toasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect mittens for this cold winter! We will have to do show and tell sometime : )

      Delete